December 6, 2012

Close Encounters With Science

I am so grateful that CBC Canada Writes asked me to be one of the two evaluators for their Close Encounters With Science writing competition. There are two distinct times for the author of a book. There is the writing and there is promotion. Writing is mostly a solitary process; the effort and joy of publishing and promotion are community events. Since my book was published in April I have been meeting lots of new people: Canadian authors, book lovers, bookstore owners, librarians. It's been fun and rewarding in a different way than writing is rewarding.

The latest person I've met was the other judge of CBC's writing competition, Beverly Akerman. Beverly has the distinction of being the only novelist who has sequenced her own DNA. Makes me even more excited to read her stuff. I look forward to reading The Meaning of Children, a collection of stories.

No comments: